Friday, September 17, 2010

Leaders have no Secrets!

Good Morning!

I know that this week has been eventful for you!

Why?

Because you have grasped the importance of being a master of your events...

You'll remember...

If one is not experiencing the events that they envision...then they have abdicated their control or simply surrendered to fate...

Either of those situations are not part of your character...

That is why I know that you have had an eventful day...

My latest Rave!

In the "Secret" there is a thing called the "law of attraction."

There are two things I despise about the prior sentence...

The first is the word "Secret" (we'll address this later)...and...

The "LAW of attraction" itself...

The truth is...there is no law of attraction!  At bare minimum...it is a law of acceptance...

Let me explain this controversial position...

The "Law of Attraction" is a surrogate explanation for something much more fundamental...

That fundamental concept is simply the human right of choice...

We do not attract "good" things or "bad" things...we choose them!

Apart from cause and effect...which is a subject that I addressed in an earlier posting...

Life hands us these things almost randomly...

When we are approached by them...we choose which ones we allow to affect us...

Think about this...

There are things that you love and hate...and...

...there are things you choose to be indifferent to and simply ignore...

There is no SECRET LAW that says...how we think attracts more good situations or greater riches...

The real law says that it is how we think and what we choose determines what situations we allow to control us or reward us...

It is CHOICE...PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

OK...I have ranted enough about this...my advice is that you consider the truth when you start believing that rewards will come to you without anything other than thought...In my book...it is like participating in the powerball lottery...

The world operates on an energy principal...you get back from the world a portion of the energy that you expend...

This energy (your actions and efforts) are the currency with which you purchase your dreams and goals...

OK...

On to the thing that really bugs me...

The Secrets...

In an email that I received from a friend the other day...they asked for me to share my "secrets" of leadership...

As I thought through my reply...it suddenly hit me...

Leaders do not have secrets...they have answers...and advice and suggestions...

If a leader has secrets...they are not a leader!

The word "secret" is an interesting word...at the foundational level...it reeks of exclusivity...

It conveys a sense that someone does not deserve or have a right to the information...

It is a word that promotes prejudice!

I do not like that...

The word "secret" has become a marketing word...

People love secrets!

They love being privy to information that few have!

This gives them an advantage over the rest of the world...

In my book...this is not the way a real leader should act...

Keep a secret...and use it to hurt others...yes hurt!

Why?  If another person could benefit from the information...and it is withheld from them...that person has been hurt!  And the person withholding the information has hurt them...

Leaders do not intentionally hurt others...do they?

Leaders have advice...answers...suggestions and recommendations...

Leaders freely share...because their success is totally dependent upon the success of the whole...

Secrets promote selfishness...

Leaders can not be selfish...

You can judge a true leader by the level of selflessness they exhibit...

Leadership and secrets is an oxymoron...

Those two words together is like saying a "honest liar."

So...what did my reply contain...

It said...

***************************

WOW!

I am honored that you would think that I possess some secrets to leadership...I do not have any secrets...in fact that is one of the foundational tenets that I adhere to in my leadership style.  A leader first seeks to provide answers and directions...these answers and guidance spring from themselves and their knowledge and experience...or...

They go and get the answers and direction...and freely share it...

There are no secrets in leadership...if someone claims to have a secret...they have put themselves above you...

In fact...the secret to being a great leader...is to have no secrets!

I have never found a true leader that truly believes they must possess some secret to success...

I have however worked for and observed many leaders that did think they were above (better than) the people that they worked with...and they kept secrets...and destroyed many people during their career...

My first piece of leadership advice...have no secrets...be open and honest...

If something has to be kept secret...you have to wonder about the very nature of the information that you possess...

Generally things that have to be kept out of reach of others...are poison and detrimental!

Said another way...If you have to keep it out of reach of people (children)...the "Secret" that you possess may not be something you wish to handle either!

And that my friend is my second bit of advice...

As always...I am always here to give you answers...or help you find them...

That is just me!

**************************

Enough Said!

Have a wonderful weekend and an eventful upcoming week!

Put energy and passion into what you do...

If you do not see the efforts that you are working worth your effort and passion...seek other opportunities...

SERIOUSLY...seek other opportunities!

Life is too short to be wasting your time on meaningless events!

Vivamos la Vida Pura y vamos para el todo!



No comments:

Post a Comment