Saturday, May 14, 2011

Appreciation and Success

Good Morning...

One of the more consistent parts of my weekly routine is the identification of a topic of weekly theme...which leads to:

  • An assessment the concept's role in personal or leadership success
  • An evaluation of its current performance 
  • A decomposition of the significant driving aspects
  • Identification of the current weakness of those driving aspects
  • Identification of improvements for those weaknesses
  • Modeling of the proposed changes
AND finally...

Re-composition of the proposed solution set into a new behavior scheme that I often share in this blog!

The funny thing is that this is just a complex way to say that something comes up and I think about it...

*******************************************

Although there are arguments against my routines...I believe that focus, rigor and discipline are critical components of success...whether success is viewed personally, professionally, organizationally or globally.

*******************************************

This week's topic came from a discussion that a great friend and I had early in the week...

Before I share the topic...I have to share this friendship with you...because something about it is important in emphasizing this concept...

I realized this week that, except for a few rare exceptions...we talk EVERY weekday between 7:45am and 8:30am...the awesome things is...we have been doing this for almost 10 years!

Some of the conversations are short and others are longer...

How many friends can you say that you have...that you do this with?

How about...a twist....how many friends do you do this for?

When our routine first started...he was either in the office and I was driving...and it evolved to both of us conversing while driving...and our current conversations have him driving and me not...

We talk during a time that normally is wasted...

Many times our conversations occur when one or both of us is walking or bike riding...

The important thing to me is that it happens consistently and that I can count on it!

We have seen each other through rough times and celebrated good times...we give each other feedback and advice...other times we just laugh!  The cool thing is that we are much better for the exchanges...

This week we talked about "Thankfulness" and how important it is...

My friend opened the discussion with a concept that he had read about...that held...a person can not move to a higher level (success) until they are truly appreciative of their current state...

As a result of our conversation...we committed to writing 2 thank-you notes each day!

*******************************************

Those who know me can point out that I routinely go on "Thank you" campaigns!

I believe that heartfelt appreciation is critical to being a successful leader...

Perspective is critical...Appreciation puts life in the proper perspective...

How do you act if there is a 10% chance of success?

What if you are thankful for that 10% chance?

Enough of that for now...

******************************************

I realized that I had never took the time to fully understand the role that "thankfulness" plays in success...

My goal was to leave this week differently...

I was "thankful" for this opportunity!

******************************************

People relish being appreciated...

Saying "thank-you" is like publicly...increasing the font size..."bolding" and underlining a written recognition of their actions...

Interestingly...some "thank-yous" are effective...while others are a total waste of every one's time...

******************************************

The "thank you" difference...

I have been given my share of "thank-yous" and also given more than I can count...

Although I am probably guilty of the same mistakes...I stepped back and looked at a few "thank-yous" that I received...

I found that there are three types of "thank-yous!"

Type 1 - Totally Self-serving (those said to get something more out of another)
Type 2 - Right-track (Said for the right purposes, but lacking all of the components)
Type 3 - Effective (Containing all of the necessary elements)

Type 1

I do not have to waste much time on these "thank-yous"  We easily recognize them...

...They are non-specific in context
...They are insincere
...They feel forced

The bottom line is that they are hollow...

Type 2

These "thank-yous" are no more effective than Type 1...yet they were well-meant!  They:


  • Recognize a valuable contribution
  • Are well timed
  • Are specific
The sad thing is that...lacking one component makes them as hollow (in the long run) as Type 1

Type 3

These "thank-yous" go "full course."  Containing all of the elements of Type 2...the final component is added that elevates them...a rare occurrence...in the lives of most people!  That element being...

Appreciation and Indebtedness!

A true thank-you is recognition of the act or event...and...

A reflection of the value of that act or event...and...

A vow of indebtedness (an IOU)...

When all of those components are present...the "Thank-you" is meaningful!

How many of those have you received?  

How many of those have you given?

How many times have you said and meant..."Thank you for...X...  I will show you how appreciative I am for this by...Y...?"

*******************************************

Type 3 "thank-yous" need to be an important part of your regular vocabulary...

But do not use them if are not willing to make commitments...

They are powerful!

REAL "thank yous" are "IOUs"

The fact of the matter is...if they are truly heartfelt...the person who has committed...

...Will look for a way to repay...at the earliest opportunity...

Thank you is not a long-term investment...

It is a short-term note...that "buys time"

It is the beginning of the higher and more important concept of "trust."

It is the foundation upon which true success is built!

To my LOYAL friend...with whom I talk every day...

Thank you!

Our conversations mean the world to me...

You have helped me more than I fell I have helped you!

If ever a time comes that my phone doesn't ring by 8:30...you can rest assured that I will call you...or text you...

Remember that If you need me...I am just a phone call away!

ENOUGH SAID!

Pura Vida! 








No comments:

Post a Comment