Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Urban Hero, Steven Slater

Good Morning!


There are days that I am moved to "special editions" of the update...because there are messages that need to be shared...as soon as they are heard!


Last night I read a story that is becoming viral...it is of Steven Slater...former Jet Blue Flight attendant that took matters into his own hands...and has become an instant urban hero!


In brief...a self-centered and rude passenger smacked him with his suitcase and refused to acknowledge the incident or apologize...


Steven grabbed a beer out of the crew cabin and left!


You can read a more complete reporting of the story at...http://tinyurl.com/29uc93p


It makes me smile!


Why...because it is rare events like this that show the world what we have become as a society...


I am posting a blog on In Search of the 21st Century Philosopher that discusses our obligation to "Right."     Watch for it at http://tinyurl.com/25fk4ln


The message in that blog is that it is not our role in this society to simply be right...but to do what is right...    


I remember a statement that I made, to one of the teams that I was leading, in a vain attempt to quell their frustration with the self-centered behavior of the organization around them...


I said...(tongue in cheek)...These people have been put here for entertainment purposes only...do not take them seriously...and PLEASE do not try this at home!


It struck a cord with a few of the team members and they put that attitude into play...


Our society has gotten significantly more ignorant...rather than more astute...


People are showing their ignorance by their behaviors...


I can't help but be entertained by that...


There are individuals that ignorantly yell at customer service people...as if they made the error themselves...How can anyone be so stupid to think that the person on the phone or behind the help desk made that error?  Why treat them poorly?  They are getting paid to fix the problem...


I have heard people attempt to justify their behavior by saying they are just venting their frustrations...GROW UP and act like an adult...not like a three year-old who can not control their emotions...


For the past few years I actually made a game out of my customer service experiences...


As soon as I get to a service representative...I ask...


"Did you make this mistake?"


I have never heard "Yes"


Then I ask "Is your job to help me fix it?"


I always hear "Yes"


It is so funny...because I know that they are wondering why I am asking this...


I then say...then I am going to treat you like that and not be a jerk!


I always get a laugh of relief!


And we have fun fixing the issue...and a heartfelt THANK YOU! 


"It is not about being right...it is about doing right..."


Company Service people are not the ones who messed up...they are being paid to make it right or at least help...treat them that way...


My guess is that there will a deep dive into the life of Steven...and it will be a slur campaign saying that he is not the legend that he is being portrayed...


I don't care about who he is...


The fact is...that event was legendary!


What his past is like has no bearing on that event...it may even played into creating it!


Do not show your ignorance by getting "sucked in" to the smear...and see the event for what it is...legendary and a lesson for all of us to learn and emulate...


It was the right behavior at the right time...


Few if any people step up and do the right thing...ever in their lives...


He did!


Start showing respect...do the right thing...


There is no need to be right...intellectually...that is immature...


"I want justification!"  


So do they!


I want to be treated like a human being with respect!


So do they!


Start showing that a lesson that was taught in kindergarten was learned!


Give respect to the homeless that are begging on the intersections and street corners...


Show some common courtesy...to everyone...


That is what you want...


It is what they want...


Forget about being right...or made right...DO WHAT IS RIGHT!


Sit back and watch the show of those immature, ignorant, self-centered people who have no learned the message...and continue to rant and rave at the service desks...


Laugh at them out loud!  Send those people a message LOUD AND CLEAR...it is the RIGHT behavior and the thing to do!


Remember...Those idiots have been put here for entertainment purposes only...


Do not do this at home! 


Me thinks I rant too much!  BUT...for the RIGHT reason...


Enough Said!    

No comments:

Post a Comment