Saturday, April 10, 2010

Common Sense Revisited

Good Morning!

For some of you it was a short week...for others just another week...

In either case, I hope that you stayed the course of setting achievable milestones, early in the week...assessed your progress mid-week, adjusted and made your goals!

I can not over-emphasize how important it is...to have a plan to get where you want to be...

An overall strategic plan...with your BIG dreams...and then...

A manageable "micro-plan" the keeps the "wind at your back" and ensures that you are making "hourly"..."daily"..."weekly"...and "monthly" progress towards that overall goal...

From a process perspective it is important and it is also psychologically critical...

One's inability to see and feel progress will lead to frustration and apathy...

This will lead to quitting...or even worse...activity that has no purpose...

I realize that I revisit this topic often...it is important and has to be part of your being...

It is one of the primary "keys of success."

Make it more than a habit...habits can be broken...make it part of your DNA...an unalterable part of your being...

Enough Said!

Earlier in the week...I was putting together a patio table.

It was wrapped in a plastic cover...

Printed on the cover was a series of warnings...

...This is not a toy...

...Keep away from children...

...Do not cover your head...

...and on and on...

These warnings were written in three languages...

Every one of these warnings were nothing but printed common sense...

As I read the warnings...I had to laugh...

What I have called the "rarest of all human virtues" has to be printed on packing material in order to avert lawsuits!

Another thing that struck me was that it had to be printed in multiple languages...

The lack of common sense is not a national issue...it is a global issue...

How sad...

The "silver lining" of this dark and ominous cloud is that common sense will be in high demand...and will be a differentiator in your life...and your profession...

Seek common sense (wisdom)...

Organizations will pay for it...they need it...more than they need ingenuity!

Individuals possessing real common sense will rise to the top of organizations...you can count among them...

How sad that the "utterly obvious" has to be printed in three languages...it is a cost...that we ultimately have to absorb...

Consider the simple cost savings that those with common sense pass on to consumers...an elimination of liability...

Do not be a reckless liability to an organization...

Do not be a risk averse individual either...

Both are costly to organizations...

Seek and find the balance between cavalier and self shackled...

You will find yourself among a small class of highly sought after individuals...

Enough said!

I was thinking the other day about a "call to account for your actions."

I learned early on in my career...to shift my perspective from my employer's perspective...(at the end of every day) and ask myself this question...

"I have paid you $X...what did I get for that?"

I actually made it a habit to ask this of myself on a daily basis...and I recorded my response...

It made me think seriously about what I was doing...

Did I give my employer something of value...or did I cheat them...?

About this time every year...and it seems like it happens out of the blue...a person is asked to account for their activities...and provide a progress report...

It is really the question..."What did I get for what I paid you?"

If you think deeper...it is them really asking..."Did you steal from me?"

"Half-done..." doesn't cut it...

Only measurable results!

Those who know me remember that if I were called to account...my ability to respond was nearly immediate...why?

Because I documented it on a daily basis...at the end of every day!

Was I successful on a daily basis?  NO!  But I can tell you that a daily awareness gave me the ability to identify potential issues well before they did become critical!

This exercise ensured that I did not cheat or squander my employer's investment in me...

Are you calling yourself to account for your performance?

It is better that you do than your employer...

Are you providing value on a daily basis...or are you stealing from them...

Even if your performance is the result of long term projects...you can account for valuable progress on a daily basis...

If you are decreasing the delivery time...you are saving money...

If you made measurable progress you are contributing...

If you are not...you know the conclusion!

Call yourself to account...before they do...

Regain that right...so that they do not take it from you...

Enough Said!

Have a great weekend!

Make a difference!

Pura Vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment