Sunday, February 7, 2010

Bait for Unsuspecting Prey...

Good Morning...

I apologize for not having this update ready on Saturday...Today was a busy day for me!

It was the debut of my book with a Cub Scout pack meeting...it was awesome! 

I can say that I have achieved my goal...that was to get my feet wet in the marketing side of book publishing...which I found is the biggest and most important piece of the whole process!

The neat thing about today...was that I was asked to give them the keynote address...I actually talked very little about my book...and all about the Scouts!  It's their 100th year anniversary by the way!

In doing so (or not, in the case of my book)...I actually did talk about my book...and most important about my mission..."to make meaningful and significant differences in the lives of individuals and the performance of organizations..."

That is what it is all about...if you care little about yourself...and focus on others...you do not need to worry about yourself...the vital (and wise) few will step up and look out for you...the disloyal and selfish will also show themselves...for their words of support and loyalty, are hollow and lact even the substance of smoke...

It is funny how one single act can bring light to the entire picture!

Enough on that!

Tyler and I were talking about TV the other day...it was a really cool discussion...

He was commenting that the show that was on the television was mindless and frivolous...

I asked him why television networks put any show on the television...

The discussion ensued that networks use shows to draw people of like mind together so that they can sell specific advertising!

Then we talked about the fact that TV shows are not unlike "bait" used to draw unsuspecting game into range...so that hunters can shoot them...

What a cool analogy...

Then we started talking about the government's attempts to restrict certain types of shows...because they appeared to promote violence...this goes as far back as "The 3 Stooges!" 

It is an interesting "chicken or the egg" paradox!  Does the show create violent people...or does it just attract violent people and concentrate them...so that the psychologists and sociologists can more easily find them...

More over...as we talked...we realized that you can tell a lot about yourself by the commercials that you see while watching TV...this is really what the smart people think about you...because that is what they know that "bait" attracts in!

Bait for unsuspecting prey!

Take a moment to really look at the commercials that are being fed to you...the show is the bait...and the ad it the bullet!

But this goes far beyond television...it permeates everything in our lives...the unthinking person is simply prey for advertising and sales...that is what makes the world go around!

If you want to change...change the bait that you will take...and refuse "eating" anything different!

This is a lot to think about and actually encompasses a long discussion...

Enough said...but I bet this comes up in the future!

Have a great weekend...

I have much more marketing to do...and more books to write!

No comments:

Post a Comment